Main menu

Towns and villages on the track


The municipality of Šebkovice is located 15 kilometres distant from Třebíč town in a beautiful countryside at the foot of the Bohemian-Moravian Highlands at the altitude of 455 metres.

The name of the village is derived from the personal name of Štěpán (Stephen). The first record about the village has been found in a document from 1349. The oldest long-distance route called Danube-Elbe or Habry Route used to lead through the municipality. The oldest historical sight in the region is the protected Romanesque subsidiary Church of St. Mary Magdalene from the 12th century. The church surrounded by a cemetery stands in the northwest of the village. Originally, it used to be a rotunda which had been constructed as a part of the greater fortified settlement and had a function of defence, which is evidenced by three preserved gun loopholes. The building was plastered and the binder was lime and sand mortar. In the 16th century (the late Gothic), the semi-circular apsis was replaced by a rectangular presbytery.  In the 18th century, the church was reconstructed in Baroque style. The roof is covered by thatches. There is a crypt under the church. The cross inside was made by František Bílek (1910).

Another sight – west of the village – is the deposit of precious biotite mineral. South of this place, there is a continuous linden grove with natural undergrowth of herbs and bushes called Hájky. The place is a natural monument.