Main menu

Towns and villages on the track

Horní Újezd

The municipality of Horní Újezd lies approx. 9 kilometres south of Třebíč town at the altitude of 490 metres. The estates of the municipality are located on the edge of an ancient settlement area which has been continuously populated since the prehistoric times. In the surroundings there are several settlements from the Neolithic time – the culture with the so called Moravian painted ceramics, Jordanov's culture (4 000 – 3 800 years BC). The fortified central settlement (9th – 10th centuries) in the southwestern part of the village estates is the oldest evidence of the Slavonic settlement in the region. The village is first mentioned in documents from 1243 when a parish church already stood here.

A historical sight in the village is the Church of St. Peter and Paul with a Romanesque core, Gothic adaptations and a tower from the early 16th century. The tower bell with a motif of Madonna with Child originates from 1509. The church was rebuilt in the 18th and 19th centuries. There is a wide view from the hill at the church. The western part of the cemetery wall originates from the 18th century.

Southwest of the village, on the Rokytná River, the old Újezd Mill (Újezdský mlýn) from the 14th century can be seen. A curiosity of nature is the occurrence of the protected Cyclamen Purpurascens in the railway of Liští and the Anemone Hepatica at the Újezd Mill.